Thursday, June 4, 2015

The Myth about the NFL Total Offense and Total Defense - Part 8

   This post continues to build on the statistics used in Pro Football Ranking.com’s fifteen stat ranking method. We have already talked about Interceptions, Fumbles, Penalties, The Red Zone, Time of Possession, and Third Down Conversion Percentage. Today I will add statistic number seven to this list.
 I would like to point out that all of the statistics used in this ranking method are valued equally; I am presenting them randomly, not in any order of importance. Since the NFL version of Ranking Total Offense and Total Defense is yards only I am saving the Yards stats for last. My Intention is to show that there are other statistics, besides yards, that are important.


   I apologize if I repeat myself, but this seems so obvious that I can’t understand how it can be ignored. This is another NO Brainer!

   Offenses that can’t pick up first downs are simply no good! Offenses that pick up first downs a large percentage of the time are very good! Which would you rather have an offense that goes three and out often or an offense that can put drives together? If it is the second choice then 1st downs are very important.

   A defense that allows the opposing offenses to rack up a lot of 1st downs is a bad defense! The defense has to be on the field for a long time and gets tired which leads to nothing good. On the other hand a defense that ranks high in this category, one which allows few first downs, gets to rest and watch their offense work. This usually leads to everything that is good for your team.

   A no brainer, you bet! I want my team to rank high in this stat both on offense and defense!

And Still

The NFL, in all of their wisdom, thinks that the “yards stat” is the only important statistic to use in ranking Total Offense and Total Defense.

We at Pro Football Ranking.com don’t agree with the NFL one stat version! Do you?

Next up in Part 9 will be Sacks.



Leave a comment, how do you feel about Total Offense and Total Defense rankings.

No comments:

Post a Comment