Saturday, June 6, 2015

The Myth about the NFL Total Offense and Total Defense - Part 10

   In this continuing series on why the NFL’s version of ranking teams on offense and defense is a flawed and meaningless method I have been building the  Pro Football Ranking.com comprehensive Total Offense and Total Defense ranking method, statistic by statistic. If you have been following my posts you will already know that I have discussed Interceptions, Fumbles, Penalties, Time of Possession, Red Zone, 3rd Down Conversion Percentage and, 1st Downs. In my last post I started on the Passing stat’s used in this analytical ranking method by adding Sacks. Today I will continue with another important passing statistic;


  You are always reading and hearing about the QB rating stat, but who really understands this confusing and misleading stat. In fact there seem to be more than one QB rating stat.  

How confusing is that?

   Quarterback Completion Percentage, on the other hand, is very simple. It is nothing more than the pass completions per attempts. A high pass completion percentage usually means your teams offense can keep drives going. A low QB completion percentage is what all defense’s want. Incomplete passes on 1st down puts pressure on the offense and makes it harder to pick up 1st downs. An incomplete pass on 3rd down means the defense has done their job, stopped the offense, and can get off the field.

   The more details, information, you can get on any subject means you will be more knowledgeable on that subject. This applies to Total Offense and Total Defense as much as any other subject!

   If I am driving across the country starting in Boston and going to Oakland and I tell you that I have traveled 800 miles, you know I have traveled 800 miles. You do not know how fast I was driving, how long it took to go that 800 miles, or when I will get to Oakland. If I tell you that I driving 800 miles a day and the driving distance between Boston and Oakland is 3100 miles you can figure out that I will be in Oakland on the fourth day. The more information you get the more accurate you can be.

I started this post with the statement that “the NFL’s version of ranking teams on offense and defense is a flawed and meaningless method”. Flawed because you are getting a very limited amount of information and meaningless because it tells you very little about how your offense or defense is playing.

Don’t you really want more information? Try Pro Football Ranking.com!

   So far we have covered nine different stats used in our ranking method. This leaves Yards and points to be discussed. I will start with points (TD’s) in my next post. Part 11


How am I doing, are you convinced yet. Leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment